More about St. Croix
Discover the Hidden Gems of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Croix is the largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands, located in the Caribbean Sea. This island is a hidden gem, offering visitors a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. St. Croix has a rich history, dating back to the 15th century when Christopher Columbus first set foot on the island. Today, St. Croix is a popular tourist destination, with visitors flocking to the island to enjoy its warm weather, pristine beaches, and crystal-clear waters.
One of the most popular attractions on St. Croix is Christiansted. This charming town is home to some of the island's most historic buildings, including Fort Christiansvaern and the Old Scale House. Visitors can take a stroll along the town's cobblestone streets, admiring the colorful buildings and enjoying the local cuisine at one of the many restaurants and cafes.
For those looking for a bit of adventure, St. Croix has plenty to offer. Visitors can explore the island's lush rainforests, hike to the top of Mount Eagle, or take a dip in one of the island's many natural hot springs. And for those who love the water, St. Croix is a paradise for snorkeling, scuba diving, and other water sports.
Top Reasons to Visit St. Croix for Your Next Vacation
St. Croix is a perfect vacation destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The island's natural beauty, rich history, and warm weather make it an ideal location for travelers of all ages. Here are some of the top reasons to visit St. Croix for your next vacation:
- Pristine beaches: St. Croix is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. Visitors can relax on the white sand beaches, swim in the crystal-clear waters, or take a leisurely walk along the shoreline.
- Historic sites: St. Croix has a rich history, dating back to the 15th century. Visitors can explore the island's historic sites, including Fort Christiansvaern and the Old Scale House.
- Outdoor activities: St. Croix has plenty of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy, including hiking, snorkeling, scuba diving, and more.
- Local cuisine: St. Croix is known for its delicious local cuisine, which features a blend of Caribbean and European flavors. Visitors can enjoy fresh seafood, tropical fruits, and other local specialties.
- Warm weather: St. Croix has a warm tropical climate, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to mid-80s year-round.
Travel Guide: How to Go to St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
Getting to St. Croix is easy, thanks to its modern airport and ferry services. Visitors can fly to St. Croix from major U.S. cities, including Miami, New York, and Atlanta. The island's airport, Henry E. Rohlsen Airport, is located on the western side of the island and is serviced by several major airlines.
For those who prefer to travel by sea, there are several ferry services that operate between St. Croix and the neighboring islands of St. Thomas and St. John. The ferries run daily and offer visitors a scenic way to travel between the islands.
Once on the island, visitors can rent a car or take a taxi to get around. Driving is on the left-hand side of the road, as St. Croix is a U.S. territory. Visitors should also be aware that the roads on the island can be narrow and winding, so it's important to drive with caution.
Unforgettable Things to Do in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Croix is a paradise for those who love the outdoors. Visitors can explore the island's lush rainforests, hike to the top of Mount Eagle, or take a dip in one of the island's many natural hot springs. Here are some of the top things to do in St. Croix:
- Buck Island Reef National Monument: This protected marine reserve is home to some of the most beautiful coral reefs in the Caribbean. Visitors can take a boat tour to the island and enjoy snorkeling, scuba diving, and other water sports.
- Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve: This park is home to some of the island's most important historic sites, including the site where Christopher Columbus first landed in 1493. Visitors can explore the park's hiking trails, kayak through the mangrove forests, or take a guided tour of the historic sites.
- Cruzan Rum Distillery: St. Croix is known for its delicious rum, and visitors can take a tour of the island's famous Cruzan Rum Distillery. The tour includes a tasting of the distillery's award-winning rums.
- Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge: This protected beach is one of the most beautiful on the island. Visitors can relax on the white sand beach, swim in the crystal-clear waters, or take a walk along the shoreline.
Why Book Your St. Croix Hotel with Agoda.com?
Agoda.com is the perfect place to book your St. Croix hotel. With a wide range of accommodations to choose from, including the Sugar Beach Condo Resort and the Hotel on the Cay, Agoda.com has something for every traveler.
Booking with Agoda.com is easy and hassle-free. Visitors can search for hotels by location, price, and amenities, making it easy to find the perfect hotel for their needs. And with Agoda.com's Best Price Guarantee, visitors can be sure that they are getting the best deal on their hotel.
The Best Time to Visit St. Croix for a Perfect Getaway
St. Croix has a warm tropical climate year-round, making it a perfect destination for those looking to escape the cold winter months. The best time to visit St. Croix is from December to April, when the weather is warm and dry. Visitors can enjoy the island's beaches, outdoor activities, and local festivals during this time.
For those looking to avoid the crowds, the summer months of June to August are a great time to visit. The weather is still warm and sunny, and visitors can take advantage of lower hotel rates and fewer crowds.
10 Essential Tips for Travelers Visiting St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Bring sunscreen and insect repellent: St. Croix has a warm tropical climate, so it's important to protect your skin from the sun and bugs.
- Rent a car: While taxis are available on the island, renting a car is the best way to explore St. Croix.
- Try the local cuisine: St. Croix is known for its delicious local cuisine, so be sure to try some of the island's specialties.
- Pack comfortable shoes: St. Croix has plenty of hiking trails and outdoor activities, so be sure to pack comfortable shoes.
- Bring cash: While credit cards are accepted at most places on the island, it's always a good idea to have some cash on hand.
- Respect the local culture: St. Croix has a rich history and culture, so be sure to respect the local customs and traditions.
- Stay hydrated: With warm temperatures year-round, it's important to stay hydrated while exploring the island.
- Book your hotel in advance: St. Croix is a popular destination, so be sure to book your hotel in advance to ensure availability.
- Take advantage of the island's natural beauty: St. Croix has some of the most beautiful beaches and natural landscapes in the Caribbean, so be sure to take advantage of them.
Where to Stay in St. Croix: A Guide to the Island's Best Accommodations
St. Croix has a wide range of accommodations to choose from, including hotels, resorts, and vacation rentals. Here are some of the best places to stay on the island:
- Sugar Beach Condo Resort: This beachfront resort offers fully equipped condos with stunning views of the Caribbean Sea.
- Hotel on the Cay: This charming hotel is located on a private island just a short boat ride from Christiansted.
- The Buccaneer: This luxury resort is set on 340 acres of lush tropical gardens and features three private beaches.
- Divi Carina Bay Beach Resort and Casino: This all-inclusive resort offers guests access to a private beach, casino, and several restaurants and bars.
What to Eat in St. Croix: A Foodie's Guide to Caribbean Cuisine
St. Croix is known for its delicious local cuisine, which features a blend of Caribbean and European flavors. Here are some of the must-try dishes for foodies visiting St. Croix:
- Saltfish and dumplings: This traditional dish is made with salted codfish and boiled dumplings.
- Conch fritters: These deep-fried fritters are made with conch meat, flour, and spices.
- Johnny cakes: These fried bread cakes are a popular breakfast food on the island.
- Roti: This Indian-inspired dish features a thin flatbread filled with curried chicken, beef, or vegetables.
- Cruzan rum cake: This delicious cake is made with local rum and topped with a buttery rum glaze.
Getting Around St. Croix: Transportation Options for Tourists
Getting around St. Croix is easy, thanks to its modern roadways and transportation options. Visitors can rent a car, take a taxi, or use the island's public transportation system to get around.
Renting a car is the best way to explore St. Croix, as it gives visitors the freedom to explore the island at their own pace. Taxis are also available on the island, and visitors can easily hail a cab from the street or ask their hotel to arrange transportation.
For those looking for a more affordable option, St. Croix has a public transportation system that operates throughout the island. The buses are inexpensive and offer visitors a chance to see the island's sights while traveling like a local.